REFER TO THE EXPLANATION CONCERNING HOW TO USE THIS INFORMATION IN
HS01 THE BASIS OF SELF THERAPY
HS16 HOW TO USE THESE SUGGESTIONS
HS17 DESCRIPTION OF YOGA EXERCISES
Here we will be discussing various forms of limitation of movement due to some weakness or disability of the nerves such as multiple sclerosis, pinched nerves, damaged nerves, salt build up along the nerves and various other possibilities. The general medical outlook on such cases is that they are incurable. In some cases, this may be true and the best we could hope for would be a good adaptation to the situation or the development of other nerves or muscles to the degree that we could live as natural a life as possible. In other cases, miracles can happen and nerve connections can be revived or other nerve lines developed to the extent that one once again has full use of his body. It is difficult to tell who will respond well, and thus all have nothing to loose in trying. Many cases are actually more psychological (especially those where there is no physical damage to the nerves). For those, limited movement and even paralysis becomes a form of hiding and security from responsibilities and from facing life. It necessitates being cared for by others. Having observed many cases, I would say that the main ingredient in the recovery to a normal life is the attitude and will power of the individual. Some get into a state of depression and pessimism and eventually give up every effort at self improvement. These are usually also those who feel ashamed of their predicament and that others are looking at them. There are others who overcome this, and through their own will power, they develop muscles and new nerve connections. In some cases, the use of various mechanical devices when needed can aid to living fruitful and productive lives.
This field is a huge one. Below we will give some of the natural means for aiding in one’s recovery and self development.
SOME POSSIBLE CAUSES
1. A nerve being pinched or in the neck or spinal column. 2. The nerve loosing life power. 3. Salt and toxin build up along the nerve. 4. Nutritional deficiencies. 5. Emotional blockages. 6. The deterioration of the nerve sheath.
NATURAL EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS
1.The diet should be as raw as possible. Fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts (unroasted & unsalted), natural cheeses. Only grains should be cooked; but even they can be sprouted rather than cooked. Live food is a source of vital energy which is essential for the revitalization of the nervous system. Vegetables such as carrots, cabbage, radishes, cucumbers, beets and tomatoes are all helpful.
2. Avoid completely white sugar, white flour, chocolate and spices.
3. Do not smoke.
4. If you have constipation, solve that problem immediately.
5. According to Airola, the following vitamins help to strengthen the nerves: B complex (usually in high doses, including B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12), Inositol and Magnesium. In some cases Calcium and Phosphorus may also be helpful.
6. Dry brush massage over all the body to stimulate the skin and nerve endings.
7. The key to self healing and revitalization in most cases is good diet, plenty of exercise and massage and positive thought projection, (along with patience for results which often come slowly).
8. Shiatsu massage is very effective is reestablishing the nerve and energy flow to blocked areas of the body.
9. Reflexology can be used to stimulate the flow of blood around the areas of the spinal column, neck and brain where nerves may be affected. (Thus we would massage the points for all the spine and especially the area affected, as well as all the points for the excretory systems and endocrine system. Massage can also be done on the reflex points for the area where the symptoms appear.
10. Physiotherapy is absolutely necessary in most cases, but not always sufficient. The patient himself must exercise on his own many times a day developing inner strength, contact with his muscles and will power.
11. Spiritual healing too can be extremely effective, especially when emotional or spiritual causes are involved.
12. Deep relaxation is a very key element in self healing and should be done three times or even more a day. While in relaxation you should visualize light flowing into the top of your head and passing into the areas of the spine and other parts of the body which are affected. Imagine this light healing these parts of your body. Imagine all parts of your body functioning perfectly. Imagine that you have full use of arms, hands, fingers, legs and feet. Imagine yourself walking, running and dancing, do any activities which please you. Imagine that you are completely well on all levels of you being. If there are emotional problems involved, visualize your self having completely transcended them, feeling self-confidence, self acceptance, self love and happiness.
Be regular and concentrated in your relaxation and visualization. Be patient and persistent. Results may be slow in coming. In some cases miracles take place and in others it takes time and hard work.
13. Work on emotional problems and blockages which may be keeping you from using your limbs to their fullest extent. Face those emotions which prevent you from living as naturally as possible irregardless as to whether you regain full use of your limbs. Learn to be adaptable, resourceful, creative and courageous in your coping with life. You have this problem for some reason. It may seem like an accident or some form of injustice or chance to you. But it is not. You have so much to gain from facing this problem in a positive way. You will be strengthened physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. This problem is your spiritual teacher. Your process of self therapy is simultaneously a process of self transformation.
14. In some cases, the cause of the problem is suspected to be emotional or in cases where it is clear that emotional blockages are involved, then «Rebirthing» and or «Regressions» can be useful (with the help of a trained expert).
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REGENERATION
The amount of exercises that you will be able to do and the extent to which you will be able to do each exercise will depend on the severity of your particular condition and which parts of the body are affected. Thus it is impossible to give a set of series for all cases. We will give a series for general vitality and you will have to, with the help of your doctor, physiotherapist or exercise instructor, develop a special set of exercises for your particular problem. Following are some general guidelines for doing your exercises.
1. While exercise is necessary, straining is not advised. You would do well to exercise in small doses many times a day (as many as 10 times a day). This will be more effective than sessions with more exercises done once or twice a day.
2. Play with the limits of your ability. Do not stop below your limits of movement or stamina, but take yourself just one degree beyond each time. In this way you develop your strength and flexibility without harming yourself.
3. If you are not able to move a part of your body at all, start out with imagining that it is moving. Imaging in your mind that you see it moving and make an effort to contact those muscles which can make it move. In some cases, even if a nerve connection is destroyed, we can develop an alternative route to that muscles. This requires great concentration, will power and plenty of practice – but it can be done. In accomplishing such a feat, you not only will be able to enjoy life more afterwards, but you will also have proven to yourself (and in many cases to others) the great mental and spiritual power which lies in you and every individual.
4. When even the slightest movement starts to come a part of the body, work on it. It is the beginning. It is important. The tiny movement of a finger or a toe is the indication of a nerve route being developed. In the same way, with persistence you can eventually gain control of other muscles. The key is faith in yourself, that you can do it, and the willingness to make the effort. You will need in the beginning to try every hour over and over in combination with relaxation and positive visualization.
5. When necessary, use any props or aids for helping you to be able to approach a movement or strengthen a muscle. You may need a cloth, or belt, or hanging bar over your bed, a table, a slanted board, or even another person to hold you or offer resistance. Be resourceful and creative in seeing how you can work gradually towards being able to have control over your body.
6. In addition to your specific exercises, give importance also to the exercises given below for general vitality, which are essential for the revitalization of your nerves.
7. The breath is the key to vitality and is a movement which nearly all can do with ease, regardless of various other problems. Do plenty of deep breathing lying down or sitting up. Use the various breathing ratios which suit you and concentrate on counting as you breath. This extra energy will become bioenergy which your body can use for self-healing and development of muscles.
8. Remember why you want to get well. Remember that you are a divine being with unlimited power and use this opportunity to learn how to get in touch with that power and direct it to your body. Be also relaxed and patient in waiting for results. Learn to enjoy your life as it is at the moment. Find ways in which you can be creative, productive and enjoy various activities exactly as you are at this moment, even if there is no change for the better. This will help your body and mind to be relaxed and in harmony so that the healing process will be enhanced. Your tension and rejection of your situation will only delay any healing process.
A SERIES FOR GENERAL VITALITY
1. Upward Str. (3T) No.3
2. Head Rolls (5R,5L) No.31
3. Back. & For. Str. (3T) No.20 4. Swing (20 to 50T) No.1 5. Sideward Bend (3R,3L0 No.19 6. Cat (7T) No.8 7. Sal. to Earth (3T) No.43 8. Cobra with turns (3R,3L) No.23 9. Wind Rel. Pos. (3R,3L,3B) No.4
10. Prayer position (5M) No.37
11. Alternative breathing (1:1:1:1) No.63
12. Vibrations No.61
13. Deep relaxation
14. Torsion (3LR, 3LL) No.41
15. Forward stretch (2 to 5M) No.42
16. 1/2 Bridge (3T) No.11
17. Fish (1/2 to 2M) No.47
18. Cobra (1/2 to 2M) No.22
19. Lion (3T) No.28
20. 1/2 Shoulder Stand (with series 1,2,3 &4) (20M) No.29
21. Deep relaxation
1. Do whichever exercises you can. For those which you cannot do, get others to help you or see how you can use various objects or props to help you. Do not expect to be able to do the exercises as they are described in the book. Do some movement which is similar to the exercises given and within your present ability as a step towards being able eventually to approximate the exercise more exactly.
2. If you have multiple sclerosis or some other problem in which you are gradually loosing control of your nerves and muscles, try to include all these exercises on a daily basis. Do not tire yourself, however.
3. Exercises for the development of balance (No.34) are especially useful for developing better contact between the mind and the nerves and muscles.
4. Vibrations are especially helpful in tonifying the nerves. You can start with the vibrations «AAA», «OU, OU, OU» and «MMMM» doing three repetitions a day and build up to 7 or 9 repetitions of each. They will also be of great mental and spiritual benefit.
5. Do plenty of breathing exercises throughout the day, even when you are not doing physical exercises. Use the ratios 1:1:1:1 and 2:1:2:1 building gradually the length of each act of breathing and the duration of the breathing session.
6. Do regular deep relaxation as described earlier. You should be doing three or more sessions a day with positive visualizations.
7. Get help in dealing with any emotional blockages which may be involved, either as causes of your problem or in dealing with your present situation. Be sure to read the chapter on emotions and illness and the books «PSYCHOLOGY OF HAPPINESS» and «MIRACLES OF LOVE AND WISDOM».
8. Be positive, optimistic and determined to live a happy and fruitful life in which you are growing emotionally, mentally and spiritually.