REFER TO THE EXPLANATION CONCERNING HOW TO USE THIS INFORMATION IN
HS01 THE BASIS OF SELF THERAPY
HS16 HOW TO USE THESE SUGGESTIONS
HS17 DESCRIPTION OF YOGA EXERCISES
It is hard to understand why someone would want to fill his lungs with smoke, when this would obviously be a very unpleasant experience at first. That first puff must have been for all persons a shocking negative experience. Why did they continue after that first experience of gagging on this poisonous substances clogging their lungs? Perhaps for some it was a matter of being socially accepted by others in their peer group. Perhaps others were trying to emulate their parents or other adults. Still others may have been trying to express their freedom by doing some thing they were not supposed to do. Some may have started because they saw others enjoying that experience. Still others may have been affected by the totally immoral cigarette advertisements which show supposedly important successful or physically attractive or socially admired people smoking a particular brand. How can business men and others accept living on money which is made at the expense of others’ health, vitality, mental harmony and even their lives?
For whatever reason each may have begun, he eventually becomes psychologically and physically addicted. Once this happens, once eventually needs more and more smoke in his lungs in order to feel okay. He then gets lost in a vicious circle which costs him from 45.000 drhs to 145.000 drhs a year for cigarettes which destroy his health, shorten his life, lower his energy level and clarity of mind, and make him and his clothing smell offensively to those around him. A habit which offends those around him and also gradually destroys their health and vitality. (A number of studies now point to the hazards of «passive smoking» by those who are forced to inhale the smoke filled air created by smokers in a room or car).
A person who smokes needs to ignore all logic and common sense in order to continue smoking and not make a superhuman effort to get free from the self destructive and self degrading habit. Let us consider some of the possible ways in which a person can help himself to get free from this life denying habit.
SOME EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS
1. Purify the body and the blood through fasting which allows the nicotine to be removed from the blood more rapidly. Because smoking is often associated with eating, fasting can be an effective solution, in that one usually does not desire to smoke. This can be done with fresh fruit or vegetable juices for a few weeks. You should check with you doctor to see if he agrees with your doing an extended fast of this type.
2. Take vitamin C in order to help reduce the damage done to your cells by the smoking.
3. Remember why you want to stop smoking. Be clear about wanting to get free from your slavery to this habit. Consider some of the following:
a. You are wasting from 45.000 drhs to 145.000 dras a year on cigarettes not to mention added laundy bills (because of need to wash smelly clothing more frequently) and medical bills due to weakened health. You could use this money much more intelligently and effectively in your life. Consider that 40.000 children die each day from malnutrition. You could keep a lot of children alive by directing that money to international organizations working towards remedying this shameful situation.
b. You are limiting your vitality and clarity of mind, which means that you are thinking and acting less effectively than you could be. Recent studies have shown that the percentage of high positioned executives who smoke is much less than the percentage of low level executives who do not smoke. Less vitality also means less fun and enjoyment. It means weakened nerves and less stamina.
c. You are filling all the pores of your lungs so that oxygen can not get through the lung walls and carbon dioxide and various other toxins can not pass out of the body through the lungs. Thus your cells are receiving less oxygen and thus have less energy. At the same time they are surrounded by more toxic substances which cause them to become weak and vulnerable to microbes and mutation i.e. cancer.
d. It has been scientifically proven beyond any doubt that smoking increases your chances to be affected by: Heart problems, Cancer, arteriosclerosis, high blood pressure, lung diseases, muscle cramps, hormonal disturbances, weak nerves, lower resistance to bacteria and viruses, premature menopauseΖ need we go on?
e. If you are not concerned about your health, perhaps you are concerned that when you smoke your face will wrinkle more quickly, your sexual vitality will diminish more quickly, and your breath and clothing are offensive to others. Your friends may just decide that they prefer their health to your company.
f. When you smoke in the company of others you are being egotistical in satisfying your own self-destructive need at the expense of their health and desire for clean air for their lungs, nose and eyes. You are also adding to their laundry bills in that they cannot stand the smell of their clothing after being in your presence.
g. You are reducing you chances for spiritual evolution as you are undermining the quality of your nervous system and energy body. You are giving your self over and over the message every time you light up that you are weak and unable to get free from this habit which have become a slave to. This undermines your sense of inner strength, self-confidence and self-acceptance and is an indication that you do not love yourself and those around you enough to make the necessary effort to get free. In delaying to take this opportunity to exercise your abilities of discrimination and willpower, you are failing to develop these two most important tools for spiritual evolution. You are allowing a chemical substance or a mechanical movement or habit to be stronger than your personality or soul energy.
h. You are gradually hardening the arteries of your brain and limiting your memory and mental capacity.
I’m sure that you can think of even other reasons why you want to get free from this habit. If you have not been deeply affected by reading and remembering these facts just now, then look to see how your mind is fooling you and putting you into a state of slavery in which you are unable even to recognize the reality of your situation. Do not let your mind skim over these truths superficially with an «I don’t care». That is a lie. You do care. No one can ignore paying attention to these very important facts. Do not lie to yourself. Concentrate on the fact that you want to get free and employ some of the techniques given for doing so.
4. Deep breathing exercises can help to purify the lungs and create a feeling of relaxation and well being which will help to reduce or eliminate the need for smoking. Breathing techniques should be done three times a day for about five minutes in the beginning. Eventually the duration of the breathing can be increased. Besides the specific times for breathing, whenever you feel the need for a cigarette, take a deep breath and hold your breath for a count of 5 and then let the air slowly out. Do this about five times and desire to smoke will disappear. In this way you can handle moments of desire by filling your lungs with oxygen rather than smoke.
5. Observe your smoking habits, and analyze when and why you smoke more. Is it after meals, or in social situations, at work, at home, while driving, while drinking, with coffee, at parties, at night, in the morning, when you are upset, when you relax, when you are bored, when you are alone, when you are with specific people? Through this observation, discover your motives in smoking and the situations in which you tend to smoke more. Then with the following visualization procedures imagine yourself in those situations feeling free of the need, finding other forms of relaxation, communication and enjoyment in those situations.
6. Practice daily deep relaxation with positive thought projection. This can be done on your own, or better, with a personal guide or a cassette for this purpose. In your positive projection, you should include:
a. That you have made a firm decision within that you absolutely do not want to smoke for various reasons which you can repeat at that time.
b. That you now feel no desire to smoke, that you are repulsed by the idea and by the act and by the smoke itself. You feel it as dirty and toxic to your body and do not want any contact with it anymore.
c. See your body healthy and energized and your self happy and fulfilled in life. Imagine your self in the various situations in which you used to desire a cigarette in the put, and project that you feel absolutely no need whatsoever, that you are free, that you feel inner contentment and inner joy with your self and with the people and situations around you.
d. Imagine your lungs clean and pure, and feel a desire to keep them that way.
e. Feel love and acceptance for your self and for your body and the desire to do only what is beneficial and life supportive for yourself and your body.
7. Acupuncture in the ear can sometimes be helpful in overcoming the need to smoke.
8. Treat yourself to other forms of relaxation and enjoyment such as massage, exercises, hot baths, swimming, walks in nature, sports and any other form of physical or mental enjoyment.
9. Get involved in some growth group in which you can find support in improving the quality of your life. Declare to them your decision to quit, and ask them for their support. Make a commitment to the group to stop smoking.
10. Love and accept yourself and have the desire to offer yourself the best in life, which means not destroying yourself with this toxic substance.
11. Perform daily exercises, breathing and relaxation techniques so as to ensure a feeling of inner peace and an optimistic view in life.
12. Get help in analyzing the emotional factors connected to your fasting and overcome them through inner growth techniques.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REGENERATION
All forms of exercise are beneficial and helpful in getting free from this habit.
All forms of exercise are beneficial and helpful in getting free from this habit. They are a message to the body and mind that we want health and thus create a psychosomatic state more resistant to negative habits. The following exercises in addition will help to clean out the lungs and blood as well as to release built up tensions and promote relaxation and vitality.
1. Back. & For. Str. (3T) No.20
2. Swing (30T) No.1
3. Breathing to the Sun, No. 2
Cat (7T) No.8
5. Prayer position (5M) No.37
6. Deep Breathing (5M) 1:2 No.52
7. Deep relaxation
8. Cat (7T) No.8
9. Wind Rel. Pos. (3R, EL, 3B) No.41
10. Torsion (3LR, 3LL) No. 41
11. 1/2 Shoulder Stand (with series 3&4) (20M) No.29
12. Deep relaxation
1. Back. & For. Str. (3T) No.20
2. Swing (30 to 70 T) No.1
3. Breathing to the Sun No.2
4. Cat (7T) No.8
5. Sal. to Earth (3T) No.43
6. Cobra with turns (3R,3L) No.23
7. Alternate breathing (5M) No.63
8. Deep relaxation
9. Cat (7T) No.8
10. Wind Rel. Pos. (3R, 3L, 3B) No.4
11. Abdominal Contr. (3T) No.38
12. Torsion (3LR, 3LL) No.41
13. Forward stretch (2 to 5M) No.42
14. Fish (1/2 to 2M) No.47
15. 1/2 Shoulder Stand (with series 1,3 & 4) (20M) No. 29
16. Deep relaxation
1. You can use the balloon exhalation with various exercises for the first few months of exercises so as to clean out the lungs more quickly. Then switch over the exhaling with the nostrils. No.65.
2. Start out with double exhalation breathing and then eventually add retention so that you are holding the breath for the same count as the inhalation and then exhale for double the count. No. 52.
3. Add another five minute breathing session before your afternoon meal.
4. Perform your deep relaxation with positive projection techniques as described earlier.
5. Add any other exercises which you like including jogging or dancing so as to revitalize your body.
6. Live a meaningful and enjoyable life.
7. Love your self and your body.