REFER TO THE EXPLANATION CONCERNING HOW TO USE THIS INFORMATION IN
HS01 THE BASIS OF SELF THERAPY
HS16 HOW TO USE THESE SUGGESTIONS
HS17 DESCRIPTION OF YOGA EXERCISES
Most of what we have to offer concerning problems with the neck are presented in the sections on arthritis and on headaches. Here I would like to add just a few details.
1. When throat infections are involved, gargling with salt water a number of times a day is very beneficial.
2. Also Vitamin C and Zinc tablets when sucked on in the mouth until they dissolve aid the cells of the throat in fighting off any bacteria. They strengthen the immune system.
3. When the problem is in the vertebrae of the neck, traction is often useful. Check with your doctor as to whether you might not benefit by having series of traction applied to your neck, so as to increase the space between the vertebrae and take the pressure off of any pinched nerves.
4. Shiatsu Massage by an experienced masseur is often very relieving and sometimes therapeutic.
5. Reflexology massage can be very effective, especially when the problem is a result of salt deposits.
6. Osteopathic manipulations too can be very effective in correcting faulty positioning of vertebrae.
7. The exercises given in the section of arthritis should be done on a daily basis. Be creative and sensitive to your own body so as to determine which exercises, movements and positions are most effective for you.
8. Be conscious throughout the day of when you are tensing your neck or shoulder muscles, and try to keep them constantly relaxed.
9. When there is much tension or pain, it can usually be relieved by lying on your back and placing a hot water bottle (not too full) with a towel on top it in a position so that you can lie down on your back and have the hot water bottle covering the area from the back of the upper part of your shoulders to the point where your neck merges with your head. Let the heat penetrate upwards into these muscles for about fifteen minutes and then remove it, cover your self and sleep. It is best to do this just before sleeping so that there is no chance of your getting a draft on your eated neck. If this is done for a week or two, the general level of tension in the neck will be considerably less and you will probably be able to maintain that state of relaxation with exercises and conscious relaxation of that area throughout the day.
There is a general epidemic of nervous tension which has overcome our society as a whole. Few people are not affected by it. It is the cause of perhaps 80% of the illness which plague man today. It is the result of our ignorance how to live in harmony with the laws of nature within which we were born to function. It will not be possible for someone to have lasting health without overcoming the tendency towards nervous tension. On the other hand few people realize how simple it really is to reduce significantly the amount of tension one experiences by following some simple guidelines for healthy living. Thousands of people everyday are learning to live more efficiently and harmoniously. They are becoming simultaneously more effective and more relaxed.
Any one who follows conscientiously the guidelines presented in this book will discover that truth for himself.
SOME POSSIBLE CAUSES
1. Nutritional deficiencies (especially lack of vitamin B complex). 2. Toxic build up in the system. 3. Constipation. 4. Malfunctioning of the liver or kidneys or other organs. 5. Lack of sufficient rest. 6. Lack of exercise. 7. Incorrect breathing habits. 8. Inability to release tension. 9. Lack of channels for creative self expression. 10. Inability to find meaning in life. 11. An emotional shock. 12. Childhood traumas. 13. Negative programming. 14. Lack of faith in self. 15. Lack of faith in God. 16. Ignorance of the real nature of the self and reality. 17. Allergic reactions to foods and other substances. 18. Anemia.
EFFECTIVE NATURAL SOLUTIONS
1. Avoid completely white sugar and white flour and all products made from them. They rob the nervous system of important vitamins and minerals. Also avoid coffee, tea, alcohol, spices and of course, smoking.
2. Eat plenty of whole grains, nuts, seeds, fresh vegetables and fruits. Foods which are especially beneficial are brewers’ yeast, walnuts, almonds, brown rice, whole wheat, yogurt, parsley, sprouts from alfalfa, mung beans and wheat, all green leafy vegetables and natural cheeses.
3. If feeling disturbed or tense, try eating only one food at the next few meals. You will notice a significant sense of relaxation. Eating one food only such as apples or brown rice has a calming effect on the mind.
4. Drink plenty of water and freshly made vegetable or fruit juices. Do occasional one to three day fasts and fast one day per week. If you have constipation, solve that problem immediately.
5. The following vitamins are known to give strength to the nervous system: B complex (especially B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12), C, E and Magnesium and Calcium (which can be found together in Dolomite).
6. Hot and cold baths are very effective in relaxing and tonifying the nerves. They can be used alternatively in the form of hot and cold water while taking a shower. This has both a relaxing and invigorating effect. A dry brush massage has a similar effect.
7. Take regular walks in nature, swim in the sea and work in a garden. Contact with nature is extremely healing and balancing.
8. Play peaceful music in your home, car and at work if possible. Music has a way of relaxing us unconsciously without any effort on our part.
9. Wear and surround your self with colors which relax you such as green, blue, purple and white. Choose the colors which have the most peaceful effect on you.
10. Shiatsu massage and spiritual healing are extremely effective in helping one to relax completely and discover just how wonderful life can be when one is relaxed. Regular massage for a period of one or two months can give one good head start in his self transformation process. The massage, however, does not replace the need for your personal effort through exercise, breathing and deep relaxation.
11. Ensure that you have plenty of creative and recreational activity such as singing, dancing, painting, flower arranging, sports or any other enjoyable activity.
12. Laugh many times daily.
13. Breathing techniques are especially important. Do them daily with the ratio 2:1:2:1.
14. Deep relaxation should be done twice a day. Once you have relaxed the body and the mind begin to imagine yourself in your daily life, feeling comfortable and assured in every situation. Imagine that wherever you go, whatever you do, you feel capable of coping with whatever is happening. Visualize yourself with self confidence and self acceptance in all situations. Imagine your self free from fear, worry, anxiety or any other negative emotions. Do this on a daily basis so that you eventually actually begin to face life in a much more relaxed way.
15. Get involved in some seminar or growth group through which you can discover and overcome the sources of your tension and work on your belief system which is creating your problems. See the section on emotions and illness and read my other books «PSYCHOLOGY OF HAPPINESS» and «MIRACLES OF LOVE AND WISDOM».
16. Develop your spiritual life and your relationship with and faith in God.
17. Perform the following exercises daily, especially those which bring added blood circulation to the brain. These are absolutely necessary for someone with nervous tension.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REGENERATION
The following techniques are designed to: 1. Aid in the detoxification of the body. 2. Revitalize the organs of the digestive system. 3. Harmonize the endocrine system. 4. Facilitate the circulation in the brain and along the spinal cord. 5. Release tension from the nerves along the spinal column. 6. Relax the mind.
1. Head Rolls (5R,5L) No.31
2. Back. & For. Str. (3T) No.20
3. Swing (20T) No.1
4. Cat (7T) No. 8
5. Sal. to Earth (3T) No.43
6. Prayer position (5M) No.37
7. Complete Breathing (2:1:2:1) (5M) No.51
8. Deep relaxation
9. Wind Rel. Pws. (3R,3L,3B) No.4
10. Torsion (3LR, 3LL) No.41
11. 1/2 Shoulder Stand (with series 3 & $)(20M) No.29
12. Deep relaxation
1. Upward Stretch (3T) No.39
2. Head Rolls (5R,5L) No.3
3. Back. & For. Str. (3T) No.20
4. Swing (20 to 50 T) No.1
5. The Tree (balance) No.16
6. Cat (7T) No.8
7. Sal. to Earth (5T) No.43
8. Cobra with turns (3R,3L) No.23
9. Prayer position (5M) No.37
10. Alternative Breathing (2:1:2:1) (5M) No.63
11. Deep relaxation
12. Wind Rel. Pos. (3R, 3L, 3B) No.4
13. Abdominal Contr. (3T) No.38
14. Torsion (5LR, 5LL) No.41
15.1/2 Fish (3T) No.15
16. Fish (1/2 to 2M) No.47
17. Forward Str. (2 to 5 M) No.42
18. 1/2 Shoulder Stand (with series 3 & 4) (20M) No.29
19. Deep relaxation
1. The cat, backward and forward stretch, upward stretch, and wind relieving posture can be done for the first month exhaling with the mouth as in the balloon breath. After the first month continue the exercises, now exhaling with the nostrils.
2. After a few months add the leg movement to the cat.
3. Work up gradually to doing the alternative breathing. Be sure to practice at least once a day for about 5 to 10 minutes. Do not force the breath.
4. Practice the first series for a few weeks before beginning to add slowly exercises from the suggested series.
5. Be sure to do the head low posture such as the prayer position and 1/2 shoulder stand without fail everyday. They are essential for the harmonious functioning of your nervous system. Stay in the 1/2 shoulder stand at least 20 minutes, unless there are serious reasons why you should not.
6. Add at any point the vibrations «AAA» «OU, OU, OU», «OOO» and «MMM», doing three repetitions of each at first and gradually building up to 7 repetitions. They have a calming and tonifying effect on the nervous system.
7. Sing pleasant songs with positive meanings frequently.
8. With the help of a teacher, eventually add other exercises such as the shoulder stand, plough, cobra, bow, lion, salutation to the earth and others.
9. Remember to take your vitamins daily for the first month.
10. Practice deep relaxation daily with positive visualizations as described above, twice a day if possible.
11. Study spiritual truths and try to apply them to your daily life.