REFER TO THE EXPLANATION CONCERNING HOW TO USE THIS INFORMATION IN
HS01 THE BASIS OF SELF THERAPY
HS16 HOW TO USE THESE SUGGESTIONS
HS17 DESCRIPTION OF YOGA EXERCISES
There are a wide variety of possible problems that one can have with the digestive system. They may include a number of organs. Here we are discussing a basic sluggishness, weakness or inability of the digestive system to easily or completely digest food. Symptoms may be flatulence, frequent burping, discomfort after eating, pains in the abdominal area. If there are specific problems with the liver, gall bladder or pancreas see those sections specifically. There is also a special section for ulcers and gastritis.
SOME POSSIBLE CAUSES
1. Hereditary weaknesses in the digestive organs. This does not mean that you are doomed to suffer. You can learn how to live properly and not suffer at all from such a problem. 2. A poor diet through which these organs have been harmed or overworked through overeating and toxic substances. 3. Nutritional deficiencies. 4. Blockages in the Spinal nerves which supply these organs with nerve messages. 5. Emotional tension is transferred to these organs through the vagus nerve and endocrine system.
EFFECTIVE NATURAL SOLUTIONS
1. Eat properly and at regular times of the day, so that your digestive system can prepare itself. Do not eat between meals. Do not eat when not hungry. Do not eat until meal has been digested.
2. Do not drink water with the meal. It dilutes the digestive juices.
3. Follow the guidelines for proper food combining, especially about not eating fruit with or after the meal. Be careful about mixing starches with proteins. (See the section on food combining).
4. If you have serious problems, then eat only one food at each meal for a period of time.
5. According to Airola those who have difficulties digesting proteins, should eat their proteins before or with the salad, not after.
6. Do not eat food cold from the refrigerator.
7. Chew slowly making your food a liquid in your mouth before swallowing.
8. Garlic and lemon aid in the digestion of vegetables and proteins. (Watch out if you have an active ulcer).
9. Occasional fasting or eating only one food (apples, peas, watermelon, grapes, brown rice) for a few days will help your digestive system to rest and detoxify and revitalize itself. (See the section on fasting).
10. Drink hot or warm water between meals (at least 3 hours after the meal and 15 minutes before).
11. Herb teas may help: ming, chamomile, anise, garlic.
12. Make sure that you have a bowel movement everyday (at least one). (See the section on constipation, if you have problems).
13. Engage in some light activity after eating before lying down to rest.
14. Get plenty of daily exercise and take walks in nature if at all possible.
15. Do a stomach wash once a month (No.80). Not if you have an ulcer.
16. Use a castor oil pack to stimulate your liver, gall bladder, stomach and small intestines (No. 74).
17. Learn to massage your own abdomen with the shiatsu method. (See the book «Massage and Spiritual Healing»). Massage your abdomen every morning until all symptoms disappear. (Be sure that you do not have appendicitis).
18. Learn to massage the both of your soles where there are the flex points for the various digestive organs. Consult a person knowledgeable in this or see the above mentioned book. You can use a foot roller or round bottle to roll the bottom of your foot in order to stimulate these points.
19. Spiritual Healing will be especially beneficial if the problem originates in the emotional level. Have someone place their hands on your abdominal area and send light, love and healing energy, or do it yourself.
20. Begin to harmonize your emotional life through attitude changes (see the section on emotions and illness), through reading, self analysis and group work.
21. Never eat when emotionally upset. Do some breathing or relaxation first and then eat.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REJUVENATION
With the following techniques we aim: 1. To relax, revitalize and detoxify the stomach, duodenum, small intestine, liver, gall bladder and pancreas. 2. They will also free up the nerves of the upper back which serve these organs. 3. At the same time we will increase the oxygen intake for better combustion of nutrients. 4. We also want to relax the nerves of the sympathetic nervous system and specifically the vagus nerve which transmits most of the nerve messages to these organs. 5. Finally we also seek to bring about a balance to the endocrine system and especially the adrenals. Peace of mind and emotional harmony are as always out ultimate goals.
Before performing any of these postures be sure that your abdominal pains or problems are not connected with your appendix.
1. Backward and Forward st. (3T) No.20
2. Seeing (20T) No.1
3. Cat with Balloon exhalation (5T) NO.8
4.Wind relieving posture (3R,3L,3B) No.4
5. Abdominal Breathing (1:1:1:1) No.59
7. Wind relieving posture (3R,3L,3B) No.4
8. Prayer position (5L) No.37
9. 1/2 Shoulder stand (with series 3 & 4) No. 29
10. Deep relaxation
Upward Stretch (3T) No.39
Backward and Forward st. (5T) No.20
3. Swing (20 to 40 T) No.1
4. Cat (7T) No.8
Salutation to Earth (3T) No.43
Cobra with turnings (3R,3L) No.23
7. Abdominal Contractions (3T) No.38
8Vibrations «AAA» & «HAA> (3 to 7T)
9. Abdominal Breathing (1:1:1:1) No. 59
11. Wind relieving pos. (3R,3L,3B) No.4
12. Torsion (2LR,2LL) NO.41
13. Forward Stretch (2 to 5L) No.42
14. 1/2 Bridge (3T) No.11
15. Fish *1/2 to 1L) No.47
16. Cobra (1/2 to 1L) No.22
17. 1/2 Shoulder stand (with series 3 & 4) No.61 No.29?????????????
18. Deep relaxation
1. The exhalation in various exercises can be done with the balloon breath; especially in the Cat, upward stretch, abdominal breathing and the various breaths done in the 1/2 Shoulder stand.
2. The Cat can eventually be done in a more advanced version in which we stretch one leg out behind us on the inhalation and retention and bring it forward on the exhalation up under the body bending the knee as we try to touch the knee to the forehead. (Without forcing).
3. Other exercises which can eventually be added, hopefully with the guidance of a teacher, are the salutation to the sun, Nauli, Kapalabathi, Shoulder stand, Plough and the Bow.
4. Pay special attention to doing the relaxations regularly and work on solving your emotional problems. Be more expressive of your emotions. Study and master methods of effective communication.
5. Be disciplined in your eating habits and pay attention to the proper food combinations.
6. If you cannot do all these exercises, then do at least some.