REFER TO THE EXPLANATION CONCERNING HOW TO USE THIS INFORMATION IN
HS01 THE BASIS OF SELF THERAPY
HS16 HOW TO USE THESE SUGGESTIONS
HS17 DESCRIPTION OF YOGA EXERCISES 3 OF THIS SERIES
I do not believe that it is always advisable to try to stop the symptom called diarrhea. In many cases it is the natural attempt of the body to purify itself or to remove some unwanted substance or bacteria from the body. In some cases, however, such as in babies and small children or when the symptoms have continued many days or when the body is weak and needs nutrients, then it may be wise to try to stop the diarrhea. There may in such cases be a danger of dehydration or loss of essential minerals and vitamins, and thus the need to stop it.
SOME POSSIBLE CAUSES
1. Toxic food or foods in very poor combination which create a toxic environment in the intestines. 2. Bacteria. 3. Nervous tension. 4. Inflammation of the intestines. 5. Too many antibiotics, 6. Metabolic imbalances. 7. Nutritional deficiencies.
HELPING THE DIARRHEA DO ITS JOB:
One way of getting rid of diarrhea is to help it complete its purpose. This can be done only by people who are strong and healthy and when the diarrhea is in its beginning. One can do a stomach wash (No.80) and an enema (No.82) and aid the body in its attempt to clean itself. During that time take only liquids, preferably only water with a little lemon juiced squeezed in it. My experience (traveling in India) is that when lemon water is taken for one day, without food, the diarrhea is immediately cured. That is not to say that others will surely have the same results.
SOME NATURAL SOLUTIONS
1. Eat very little or not at all until the problem is solved.
2. Drink plenty of lemon water. No white sugar, sweeten with honey if necessary.
3. Drink water from boiled rice or boiled barley.
4. If very hungry or it lasts many days, eat natural cheese, crackers, apples, yogurt or cooked rice. Eat one of any of these at a meal. Do not combine them.
5. If parasites are the cause take plenty of vitamin C (100 mg each hour) and garlic, either raw or as an oil in capsule form.
6. If the problem is a result of metabolic disturbances, eat brown rice, millet, oats or yogurt. According to Airola, the following vitamins will help: B complex (especially B1,B3,B5,B6) and Magnesium.
7. Reflexology on the points for the stomach, duodenum, small intestine, large intestine, gallbladder, liver, pancreas, solar plexus, neck and head, Most of these points can be massaged on your own with the help of a foot roller or round bottle.
8. Shiatsu massage in the area of the abdomen (if not too irritated), spine, neck, head and legs points (especially between the knee and the foot).
9. Spiritual healing on the area of the abdomen, the back, the neck and head.
10. If emotional factors are involved, get help through a professional or some group or books or seminars to overcome these sources of tension and interior disturbance.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REGENERATION
With these exercises we aim to relax the abdominal area, the spinal nerves which control these functions and bring peace to the brain and mind. They are also designed to build up the body’s energy level so that it can regain its harmonious functioning.
Note that in some cases of chronic diarrhea, these exercises may irritate the problem even more. Many, however, will be helpful, especially those which are motionless and relaxing like the breathing techniques and 1/2 Shoulder Stand. You will have to try them and see for yourself which help you the most. In any case, start with the first series and when you feel comfortable with that go on to the more advanced one.
1. Backward and Forward Str. (3T) No.20 2. Swing (20T) No.1 3. Abdominal Breathing (2:1:2:1) No.51
5. Cat (5T) No.8
6. Wind relieving Pos. (3R,3L,3B) No.4
7. 1/2 Shoulder Stand (Series 3 & 4) No.29
Upward Stretch (3T) No.39
Head Rolls (3R, 3L) No.31
Backward & Forward Str. (3T) No.20
Swing (20 to 40T) No.1
Wind relieving posture (3R,3L,3B) No.4
Leg lifts (3R,3L,3B) No.6
7. Cat (5T) No.8
8. Dynamic 1/2 Locust (3R, 3L) No.10
9. Abdominal Breathing (2:1:2:1) No.51
10. Deep relaxation
11. Torsion (2LR, 2LL) No.41
12. Forward Stretch (2 to 5L) No.42
13. Cobra (1/2 to 1L) No.22
14. Fish (1/2 to 1L) No.47
15. 1/2 Sh. St. (Series 3 & 4) No.29
16. Deep relaxation
1. The balloon exhalation can be used if you like in various exercises such as the cat, upward stretch, and the 1/2 Shoulder stand.
2. In the 1/2 Shoulder stand, remain after completing all the movements and breaths (abdominal breathing is best here) and place your hands on your abdomen and send light, love and healing energy into the area of your abdomen. Imagine it relaxing and becoming healed. Imagine that it is functioning perfectly. You can make your relaxation in this position or in the usual relaxation position.
3. Drink a glass of lemon water before doing the exercises.
4. If you cannot do all these exercises, do at least the simple series.