REFER TO THE EXPLANATION CONCERNING HOW TO USE THIS INFORMATION IN
HS01 THE BASIS OF SELF THERAPY
HS16 HOW TO USE THESE SUGGESTIONS
HS17 DESCRIPTION OF YOGA EXERCISES
Most of what we have to offer concerning problems with the neck are presented in the sections on arthritis and on headaches. Here I would like to add just a few details.
1. When throat infections are involved, gargling with salt water a number of times a day is very beneficial.
2. Also Vitamin C and Zinc tablets when sucked on in the mouth until they dissolve aid the cells of the throat in fighting off any bacteria. They strengthen the immune system.
3. When the problem is in the vertebrae of the neck, traction is often useful. Check with your doctor as to whether you might not benefit by having series of traction applied to your neck, so as to increase the space between vertebrae and take the pressure off of any pinched nerves.
4. Shiatsu Massage by an experienced masseur is often very relieving and sometimes therapeutic.
5. Reflexology massage can be very effective, especially when the problem is a result of salt deposits.
6. Osteopathic manipulations too can be very effective in correcting faulty positioning of vertebrae.
7. The exercises given in the section for arthritis should be done on a daily basis. Be creative and sensitive to your own body so as to determine which exercises, movements and positions are most effective for you.
8. Be conscious throughout the day of when you are tensing your neck of shoulder muscles, and try to keep them constantly relaxed.
9. When there is much tension or pain, it can usually be relieved by lying on your back and placing a hot water bottle (not too full) with a towel on top it in a position so that you can lie down on your back and have the hot water bottle covering the area from the back of the upper part of your shoulders to the point where your neck merges with your head. Let the heat penetrate upwards into these muscles for about fifteen minutes and then remove it cover your self and sleep. It is best to do this just before sleeping so that there is no chance of your getting a draft on your heated neck. If this is done for a week or two, the general level of tension in the neck will be considerably less and you will probably be able to maintain that state of relaxation with exercises and conscious relaxation of that area throughout the day.