REFER TO THE EXPLANATION CONCERNING HOW TO USE THIS INFORMATION IN
HS01 THE BASIS OF SELF THERAPY
HS16 HOW TO USE THESE SUGGESTIONS
HS17 DESCRIPTION OF YOGA EXERCISES
While cramps in the legs and other muscles of the body may not be considered a serious illness, it is on the other hand a symptom of disharmony in psychosomatic functioning of the body-mind system. They are certainly very painful and unpleasant to those who suffer from them. Let us consider some of the possible causes and natural solutions for this problem.
SOME POSSIBLE CAUSES
1. Poor circulation. 2. Build up of toxins. 3. Lack of oxygen in the blood (smoking or other causes). 4. Nutritional deficiencies. 5. Damage to or pressure on spinal nerves. 6. Emotional tension. 7. Hormonal disturbances.
EFFECTIVE NATURAL SOLUTIONS
1. Eat plenty of fresh raw vegetables and fruits and sprouted grains; green leafy vegetables, yogurt, and seeds and grains such as millet, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds.
2. Avoid white sugar, white flour, coffee, tea, alcohol, and meat.
3. If you smoke, Stop immediately.
4. Fast occasionally to help clean out your system. You can fast with juices from carrot, beets and cucumbers or with fruit juices.
5. According to Airola you can make a healthful drink out of almonds of sesame seeds. Add one cup of almonds or sesame seeds (or mixed) to 4 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of honey. Mix them in blender until you have a milk like liquid which can be kept in the refrigerator and drunk as an important source of nutrients. You may want to remove the skins of the almonds first.
6. The following vitamins have been proven to have a beneficial effect on those who suffer from cramps (especially if the cause has to do with nutritional deficiencies). Vitamins D, B6 (especially when cramps occur during a woman’s period). B5, E,C and Dolomite (or Calcium Lactate and Magnesium Chloride). The magnesium – calcium balance is extremely important in these cases.
7. Ensure good blood flow to the areas which are usually affected by movement, exercise and breathing. Select those exercises which facilitate the blood flow to and from that part of your body which is usually affected.
8. Use heat to facilitate the blood flow, in the form of compresses or hot salt baths.
9. Reflexology can be used to help with the detoxification of the body and with the circulation to the affected areas.
10. Shiatsu massage can be very effective in the muscles and keeping them relaxed.
11. All forms of activity such as walking, running, swimming, and dancing are beneficial.
12. If emotional factors are involved get help in seeing and overcoming the sources of your tension.
13. Do deep relaxation daily imagining the affected area to be filled with light, healing energy and plentiful blood circulation.
14. If you have constipation, work on solving that problem immediately.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REGENERATION
These exercises have the following goals: 1. To aid the circulation to and from the legs. 2. To increase the intake of oxygen. 3. To tonify the organs of digestion and absorption for better assimilation of nutrients. 4. To aid in the excretion of toxins. 5. To relax the muscles of the body and 6. To aid in the balanced functioning of the adrenals and the endocrine system.
Because most cramps are experienced in the legs, the exercises given here refer to that problem. If you have cramps in other parts of the body, seek out the aid of yoga instructor, physiotherapist of your doctor is determining which exercises are best for you.
Swing (20T) No.1
Head Rolls (5R,5L) No.31
Cat (7T) No.8
1/2 Locust (3R, 3L) No.10
5. Leg lifts (3R,3L,3B) No.6
6. Prayer position (5L) No.37
7. Deep Breathing (2:1:2:1) No.51
8. Deep relaxation
9. 1/2 Bridge (3T) No.11
10. Wind relieving pos. (3R,3L,3B) No.4
11. 1/2 Shoulder Stand (with series 1,3, &4) (20L0 No.29
12. Deep relaxation
Back and Forward Str. (3T) No.20
Swing (20 to 60 T) No.1
3.Head Rolls (5R,5L) No.31
4. Sideward Bend (3R,3L) No.19
5. Cat (7T) No. 8 (20L) No.29
1/2 Locust (3R,3L) No.6
7. Leg lifts (3R,3L,3B) No.6
8. 1/2 Shoulder Stand (with series 1 & 4) No.29
9. Deep relaxation
10. 1/2 Bridge (3T) No.11
11. Wind Rel. Pos. (3R,3L,3B) No.4
12. Cobra with turns (3R,3L)No.23
13. 1/2 Shoulder Stand (with series 1,3, &4)
14. Deep relaxation
1. If the problem is one of toxicity the balloon exhalation can be used for the first month in the cat, backward and forward stretch, leg lifts, wind relieving posture and 1/2 shoulder stand. After the first month switch to exhaling with the nostrils.
2. The leg rotations which are done is series 1 of the 1/2 shoulder stand can be done also in the morning and even a third time in the afternoon for better results.
3. Give emphasis to all phases of the 1/2 shoulder stand. It is extremely important in this case.
4. Be regular in your deep relaxation which can be done in the 1/2 shoulder stand or in the ordinary position.