REFER TO THE EXPLANATION CONCERNING HOW TO USE THIS INFORMATION IN
HS01 THE BASIS OF SELF THERAPY
HS16 HOW TO USE THESE SUGGESTIONS
HS17 DESCRIPTION OF YOGA EXERCISES
Although a complete cure from diabetes is difficult, there is a lot more a diabetic can do for himself than most are aware of. Also more diabetics do not need do be limited to that extremely unhealthy diet of mainly meat. Let us look at what a diabetic can do to improve the quality of his life and in many cases reduce significantly the amount of insulin which he must take. The various dietary guidelines which will be presented are for the most part from the research by Paavo Airola presented in his book «How to Get Well»
SOME POSSIBLE CAUSES
1.Overeating and obesity tire the pancreas, and it becomes unable to function properly. (Diabetes is very rare in poor countries where people cannot overeat). 2Hereditary weaknesses. 3. Emotional factors. 4. Blockages in the spinal nerves. 5. Endocrine disorders.
EFFECTIVE NATURAL SOLUTIONS
1. Eat a low calorie, alkaline diet based on whole wheat grains such as millet, oats, wheat and rice, vegetables, cheese, yogurt, nuts and some fruits. (The sugar in fruits is for the most part fructose which does not require insulin for its metabolism).
2. Whole grains offer a form of energy which releases sugar into the blood stream at a slow and steady rate so that the blood sugar level remains stabilized.
3. Certain vegetables contain a certain amount of natural insulin and should be eaten frequently (at least one of them daily). They are artichokes, green beans, cucumbers and garlic.
4. Fruits which are best for this problem are grapefruit, bananas and avocado. (Of course, you will have to watch how you feel after each food, to see which good you tolerate well and which foods you do not).
5. Strictly avoid all forms of white sugar, white flour and salt or products made from them.
6. Prefer to eat 4 or 5 meals rather than 2 or 3 large ones.
7. Your diet should be at least 80% raw foods. They stimulate the pancreas towards greater insulin production and at the same time contain most of the enzymes which they need for their own digestion and thus do not tax the body’s enzyme reserve as much as cooked foods.
8. Make a tea from pods of sting beans on a daily basis and drink a cup with each meal. This can be made of fresh or dried string bean pods.
9. In doing all the above and following techniques, your need for external insulin in the form of pills may drop significantly. For this reason, you should check your insulin level regularly (daily while at first employing this new way of life until your body stabilizes again). Otherwise your sugar level may drop below the described level. You will probably have to gradually reduce the number of pills you are taking. This of course should be done only with the advice of your doctor after he checks your insulin readings.
10. If you have constipation, be sure to cure it with the techniques offered in this book.
11. Do not fast.
12. A dry brush massage on your skin daily will stimulate your metabolism.
13. Drink mineral water which has chromium and manganese. These aid in the metabolism of sugar.
14. Airola suggests the following vitamins: B complex (especially B12), brewers’ yeast, chromium, C (if the eyes are affected) and E.
15. Exercise is a must for those who have diabetes. Get some form of movement everyday, walking, running, dancing, swimming, light garden work etc.
16.Reflexology can be especially helpful in stimulating the pancreas, liver duodenum and adrenals as well as the kidneys. This will improve the metabolic harmony of the body.
17. Shiatsu massage and spiritual healing can be helpful when emotional tensions or energy blockages are involved.
18. Deep relaxation is absolutely necessary. It is essential for a diabetic to maintain a peaceful state of mind and relaxed nervous system.
19. If emotional problems are creating tension, then get help in overcoming them through books, seminars, growth groups and philosophy.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REGENERATION
These techniques have the following objectives: 1. Revitalization of the pancreas, liver, kidneys and adrenals. 2. To free the spine of any blockages. 3. Better oxygenation of the blood and thus more efficient metabolism. 4. More relaxed nerves. 5. Greater harmony in the endocrine system.
Back and Forth Str. (3T) No.20
Sideward Bend (3R,3L) No.19
3. Swing (20T) No.1
4. Cat (7T) No.8 5. Salutation to Earth (3T) No.43
6. Cobra with turns (3R,3L) No.23 7. Prayer position (5L) No.37
8. Deep breathing (2:1:2:1) No.51
9. Deep relaxation
10. 1/2 Bridge (3T) No.11
11. Wind relieving Pos. (3R,3L,3B) No.4
12. Torsion (3LR, 3LL) No.41
13. 1/2 Shoulder Stand (with series 3 & 4) (20L) No.29
14. Deep relaxation
1. Upward Stretch (3T) No.39
2. Back & Forth Str. (3T) No.20
3. Sideward Bend (3R, 3L) No.19
4. Swing (20 to 50 T) No.1
5. Head Rolls (5R, 5L) No.1
6. Cat (7T) No.8
7. Salutation to Earth (3T) No.43
8. Cobra with turns (3R, 3L) No.23
9. 1/2 Locust (3R, 3L) No.10
10. Leg lifts (rR, 3L, 3B) No. 6
11. Prayer position (5L) No.37
12. Deep breathing (2:1:2:1) No. 51
13. Deep relaxation
14. 1/2 Bridge (3T) No.11
15. wind relieving Pos. (3R,3L,3B) No.4
16. Abdominal Contr. (3T) No.38
17. Torsion (3LR, 3LL) No.41
18. Forward Stretch (2 to 5L) No.42
19. Fish (1/2 to 2L) No.47
20. 1/2 Shoulder Stand with series 1,3, & 4) (20L) No.29
21. Deep relaxation
1. Practice the first series for at least a month before starting to add gradually more exercises from the suggested series. Admittedly there are a lot of exercises offered. All are beneficial (unless there are other illnesses for which some of these are contraindicated). Observe two basic rules:
a. Do not force any movement whatsoever.
b. Do not tire yourself. Work within your limits of stamina. Your limits will gradually expand, and you get your body used to more exercise. But this should be done slowly without pushing your self too much at any point.
2. Do the exercises slowly and with concentration. Do not rush to finish. Better to do few exercises with concentration rather than many exercises in a rushed and non focussed way.
3. After a few months, you can add the leg movement to the cat exercise.
4. Eventually you can add the alternate breathing technique in the morning and your breathing exercise.
5. If you like you can use the vibrations «AAA» and «HAA» as well as singing. This will bring both vitality and relaxation.
6. Check your blood sugar level frequently so that it does not drop beyond the desired level. If it drops, do not eat sugar. Eat a piece of fruit.
7. The deep relaxation can be done in the ordinary position or in the 1/2 Shoulder Stand. Once relaxed, imagine your pancreas being bathed in white healing light and energy. Imagine that it is functioning perfectly. Imagine yourself living a happy and fruitful life. If there are problems see then in a positive light projecting that all will be alright.
8. It is absolutely necessary to be regular in your exercises. If you do none for a few days and then many all of a sudden, your body will become confused as to just how much energy you need for one day. Be regular in practicing everyday.