REFER TO THE EXPLANATION CONCERNING HOW TO USE THIS INFORMATION IN
HS01 THE BASIS OF SELF THERAPY
HS16 HOW TO USE THESE SUGGESTIONS
HS17 DESCRIPTION OF YOGA EXERCISES
Good circulation depends on three basic factors: a good heart, clean arteries and veins, and well functioning valves in the veins. Here we will concentrate basically on the aspect of the quality of the arteries, veins and valves. Their condition depends basically on how clean they are and how flexible and «alive» they are. If they are lined with various waste products such as salts and fatty acids, then the volume of blood which can pass is diminished and the ability of the vessels to expand and contract is severely limited. Thus we have conditions such as arteriosclerosis, high and low blood pressure, heart blood flow deficiency and general circulatory deficiency.
SOME POSSIBLE CAUSES:
1. Hereditary tendencies. 2. Tension in the walls of the blood vessels. 3 Sediment accumulation along the walls of the blood vessels. 4. Tension in the joints. 5 Poor posture. 6. Lack of exercise. 7. Poor breathing. 8. Toxic diet. 9. Low blood pressure. 10. Hormonal imbalances, 11. Emotional tensions.
NATURAL EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS:
1. Be very careful observing the guidelines for healthy eating. Avoid all cooked oils, white flour, meat, white sugar, and any foods which have been over processed or have chemical additives.
2. Eat whole grains, fresh vegetables and fruits and a little raw unheated vegetable oil each day.
3. Occasional fasting helps to purify the blood vessels. One could fast on apples or pears or brown rice or do a juice fast for a few days. If one wants to do a longer fast, consult your doctor. Fasting on grapes is considered one of the most effective ways to purify the blood.
4. According to Airola the following vitamins help with better circulation: C,E, Lecithin, B complex (especially B3, B2).
5. Alternating Hot and cold baths help the blood flow to penetrate into all parts of the body. This can be done in your home with the help of an extra plastic basin in which you can sit, or at various hot springs which are near the sea. Another possibility is sauna and cold showers, or alternating hot and cold showers at home.
6. Dress warmly so as to allow your blood vessels to be relaxed and let blood flow.
7. Swimming in the sea all year long helps to keep the circulation flowing and the body vital. One must be regular, however, in this contact with the sea. If you leave a period of time, your body will loose its ability to adapt to the cold water in the winter.
8. Nettle tea and beating the extremities with nettles is a folk remedy for increasing circulation to the extremities. This may be painful while doing it, but they say that it brings results. (I have not tried it).
9. Reflexology massage can be used to bring circulation to organs which cannot be affected by other means. By massaging the reflex point on the bottom of the foot we are able to bring blood flow to the various interior organs, so as to revitalize them.
10. Swedish massage can be used to bring better blood flow to the various extremities.
12. All forms of movement and activity are helpful, i.e. running, walking, dancing, swimming, playing, sports and exercising. These are a must for those with poor circulation.
13. Most people do not know that our breathing aids in the return of the venus blood. When we breath deeply and slowly, we help the blood and lymph to return to the heart. This is essential so that new blood can take its place. Thus deep breathing every day is an essential for those with circulatory problems.
14. The abdominal area is considered the «furnace» of the body, where heat and energy are produced. Sluggishness and tension in this area can impede our general flow of energies and also blood. Thus you will need to do a number of exercises to stimulate and vitalize the area of the abdomen and the adrenals. Because the endocrine system regulates the overall metabolism, it will be necessary to establish harmony there. The following exercises will be helpful for that purpose.
15. When we are able to relax the blood vessels consciously, then our blood will flow freely to the various parts of our body. We tend to obstruct the free flow of blood through unconscious tensing of the various muscles and also the blood vessels themselves. Relaxation is essential for healthy circulation. Perform the technique called «deep relaxation» daily, imagining the blood vessels opening and the blood flowing freely to the parts of the body which have insufficient circulation.
16. Various forms of heat, such as hot compresses, hot water bottles, and electric heating pads can be used to increase the circulation momentarily to various parts of the body.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REGENERATION
The following exercises are designed to stimulate and harmonize the functioning of the nervous and endocrine systems as well as to release blocked energy in the abdominal area, adrenals and digestive system. In addition to these exercises, you would do well to do exercises or employ techniques which increase the circulation to the specific area in which you have the problem.
Back & Forth St. (5T) No. 2
2 Swing (20 to 50 T) No. 1
3. Wind relieving posture (3R, 3L,3B) No. 4
4. Abdominal Contractions (3T) No. 38
5. Prayer position (5T) No. 37
6. Complete Breathing (1:2:1:1) No. 53
7. Deep relaxation
8. Cat (7T) No. 8
9. Salutation to Earth (5T) No. 43
10. Torsion (3LR, 3LL) No. 41
11. Forward Stretch (2 to 5T) No. 42
12. 1/2 Shoulder Stand (with series 1,2,3 & 4) (20L) No. 29
13. Deep relaxation
1. Add other exercises for the various joints such as the shoulders, elbows, wrists, fingers, hips, knees, ankles and toes according to where you need better circulation. Remember that even if our problems are located at the ends of extremities such as with the fingers and toes, we have to open up all the other joints which come before them (mentioned previously), because although the symptoms may be in the extremities, the cause may be in one of the preceding joints. It is usually at the joints that the circulation gets blocked.
2. The Breathing ratio of 1:2:1:1 should be approached gradually starting out with the other more simple breathing ratios as described in the section on breathing exercises. Eventually you can add Kapalabathi and alternate breathing, (better with a guidance of a teacher).
3. When you feel comfortable with these exercises, then you can gradually go on to others such as the salutation to the sun, cobra, fish, shoulder stand, plough, bow etc.
4. Be sure to do headlow postures such as the prayer position and the 1/2 shoulder stand everyday so as to ensure good circulation of the brain.
5. Observe to see if emotional factors are involved. You may not have serious emotional problems, but there may be an unconscious holding and a need for control of feelings or expression which is also restricting the free flow of blood. If you are suppressing you emotions, learn to express them in an effective and positive way.