I will describe here the procedure for EFT as it is taught by Gary Craig in “The Manual” to be found on his site www.emofree.com.
I would suggest that you download it, read it and if interested, order his video course.
So what I am going to present you here is basically Gary Craig?s EFT which is a modification of Dr. Callahan?s Thought Field Therapy (TFT).
See here a series of videos on how to do EFT
In a later chapter I will explain some minor alterations we have created in our employment here in the Center for Holistic Harmony. (www.HolisticHarmony.com)
Note about employing EFT on others:
Although theoretically anyone could share this with another, my personal feeling is that this may not be a good idea in some cases. Some people have much pent up pain and fear and tapping in some cases can bring this up to the surface creating situations which require the expertise of a professional experienced in dealing with emotional crises.
This may happen in only 10 % of the cases, but I think that this is high enough of a possibility for people who want to work on serious problems to do so with the guidance of an experienced professional.
The professional need not be trained in EFT but should be familiar with how to deal with emotions, which might surface. Many EFT practitioners are also doctors or psychotherapists
On the other hand, people all over the world are learning EFT and employing it on themselves with wonderful results.
My perception is that participating in a weekend seminar on EFT and learning all the details is not the same as being told by a friend to just tap on some points.
As with all techniques, it is better to become extremely proficient in this method before you start sharing it with others.
Those interested in becoming EFT practitioners in order to help others can do so through www.emofree.com.
We will refer to the whole procedure as one round.
Each round consists of four steps. The second and fourth steps are the same.
Step 1. The Setup
a. We bring to mind the emotion or physical problem we want to free ourselves from, by correcting the energy flow associated with that disturbed energy field.
b. We estimate the SUD or subjective units of discomfort (or disturbance) from 0 to 10, where zero means no discomfort, emotion or pain whatsoever and ten means the highest we can imagine.
If working alone it might be good to write this down so you can remember how disturbed you were at the start.
If employing this on someone else, you also may want to write this down so as to follow the procedure and remember where you are.
c. Now we correct for psychological reversal just in case it is present.
Some people have an inner resistance to getting well. Whatever approach they employ, it just doesn?t work for them. These persons might have subconscious beliefs, needs or fears, which are preventing improvement. We would suspect that they have some subconscious “benefit” or “protection” from not achieving the improvement they are consciously seeking. I would agree with this concept.
Dr. Callahan has hypothesized that there is actually a reversal in the polarity of the body?s energy field, which prevents the correction from taking place when employing TFT, EFT or any other healing technique for that matter.
Gary uses the example of a battery being placed with the wrong polarity in a cassette player. It will simply not work, whatever we do. Thus, if there is psychological reversal, our tapping will not be able to correct the disturbed energy field.
This became very obvious to Dr. Callahan when he learned “arm testing” which shows how our thoughts affect our energy field. When he purposely thought positive thoughts his arm was strong. When he thought disturbing thoughts, his arm went weak. This is also the case for truth and lies. When we speak the truth, our arm becomes strong to external resistance. (Someone pushing down on it.) When we say something in contradiction with our inner feelings or truth, then our extended arm loses strength against someone pushing down on it. We can also check out the effect of food substances on our energy field in this way.
He was working with a woman who was coming to him for help to lose weight. After some time, when she was not getting any results, he asked her to hold out her arm and he pushed on it to test its strength. He then asked her to say, “I want to lose weight.” When she said this, her arm became weaker against his pressure. He then asked her to say, “I do not want to lose weight.” When she said this, her arm became stronger. This indicated that in truth she did not actually want to lose weight. This was his first realization of the existence of psychological reversal in the energy field.
Thus, in some cases, we have an energy or psychological reversal as it is called in TFT and EFT, which needs to be corrected in order to get the results we want.
According to Gary?s experience, about 40% of us have psychological reversal on some issues. Fewer have a general reversal on most of their life issues. These people usually are those who have depression, serious diseases and / or addictions to self-sabotaging substances such as drugs, alcohol, cigarettes etc. We will discuss this further.
Some of us have a subconscious tendency to undermine our own efforts perhaps because we believe we do not deserve a better reality or we fear success for some reason.
In Gary?s 100% overhaul we correct for any possible psychological reversal just in case. We lose nothing, because if there was no reversal, then we have simply spent less than 30 seconds correcting for something, which wasn?t there. It does not create reversal if there was none to begin with.
How do we correct for psychological reversal?
There are basically four ways.
1. The simplest is to tap on the side of the hand at the point on the hand where we would hit a piece of wood if we were hitting it with a karate chop. (Doesn?t matter which hand).
(In Dr. Callahan?s TFT, there is no need to saying anything while tapping.)
In EFT, while tapping, we repeat the setup phrase, which could be something like this:
a.1. Even though I have this (fill in your emotion) _______, I deeply and profoundly love and accept myself.
a.2. I love and accept myself even though I have this (fill in your emotion) _______.
a.3. Even though I have this (fill in your emotion) _______, I love and accept myself exactly as I am.
You can formulate your own phrase as long as it contains these two aspects:
* Recognition or acknowledgment of what you feel.
* Acceptance and love of yourself even with what you feel.
We will give other examples of the setup phrases for psychological reversal throughout the book.
2. The second method is to repeat these same affirmations as we rub the “sore spot”. This is on the side of the chest approximately 3 inches down and 3 inches to the right or left of the hollow spot at the top of the sternum, in the center of the chest. (See the diagram.)
We should rub with circular movements pushing inwards rubbing the skin over the bones and muscles, not rubbing our fingers over the skin or clothing.
We will present you a modification of this setup procedure in a future chapter.
These are the two basic methods of removing psychological reversal; repeating the setup phrase as we either tap on the side of the hand or rub the sore spot. It does not matter on which side of the body we tap or rub. We can also change.
3. Dr. Callahan has discovered that in some cases the Bach Flower “Rescue Remedy” can correct for psychological reversal. Four drops under the tongue or with a glass of water should do.
4. There is a fourth method also discovered by Dr. Callahan, which will be explained later, which is called “Collarbone Breathing”.
As this procedure is more time consuming (about two to four minutes) it is used when we have tried all other forms of correcting psychological reversal and still are not getting the results we would like.
So this is step one. We:
* Focus on the thought, which causes our disturbance.
* Estimate the SUD or degree of discomfort.
* Correct for possible psychological reversal.
Step 2: The Tapping Sequence
We are now ready to tap on the twelve points so as to remove the disturbance in the energy field.
These points are usually the beginning or end points of the acupuncture meridians (energy channels) and can be seen on the accompanying diagram. We tap on them about seven times each in this sequence. It really does not matter how many times you tap. It should however be more than five.
This initiates the flow of energy through these energy channels, thus correcting the disturbance in the energy field associated with that problem.
There are many ways to tap which different people find suitable as they work with EFT. In general, however, tapping should have a good pace – not too slow – and with an abrupt percussive hit on each tap. But never painful or in anyway damaging.
One hypothesis is that we are creating, by tapping, a piezoelectric impulse, which causes the energy to flow throughout the meridians.
We tap with the tips of the index and middle finger of either hand. The area covered by these two fingers is larger than the area of the points themselves and gives us a safety factor of hitting on the point when we tap.
We could even switch hands while tapping, if one gets tired.
As we tap at each point, we can verbally, or perhaps mentally in cases where we do not want to be heard, repeat the “reminder phrase”. The reminder phrase is simply a declaration of which energy field we are tapping on. This helps us to be focused on this particular energy field as we tap, correcting this particular field with our tapping.
Thus the reminder phrase will mention the emotion or physical problem we are tapping for and perhaps also the stimulus for that.
Fear of heights.
Fear of speaking in front of others
Fear of being abandoned
Anger when they correct me.
Pain in the lower back.
Anxiety about this test.
The more specific the phrase the better. We could just say:
But then the tapping would be addressed to a much larger and more complicated energy field made up of many various types of fears, anger, anxiety or pain. If we employ daily a number of rounds on this general issue for weeks, we will eventually have results. In many cases, however, as we are tapping for a general emotion or issue, we will become aware of specific problems, which will arise to be worked on.
This is the beauty of EFT. When we work on any particular desired state such as freedom from fear, anxiety, pain or anger, it will bring into our thought field the various specific obstacles towards that goal.
We work specifically on those particular obstacles and gradually remove all the “bars” to our freedom.
This will be understood more clearly further on.
We repeat the reminder phrase one time for each point that we tap. We tap a number of times (say about seven) while we repeat this phrase verbally or mentally. In the case of physical problems it may be simpler just to close our eyes and focus on the part of the body where the phenomena (such as pain) we are tapping for is centered.
We tap on only one energy field
It is extremely important that we focus on only one energy field when we work. We should not focus on more than one emotion or problem. This will bring forth two different sets of data into the energy field that we are tapping on and will prevent us from having results.
I would like to make a personal observation concerning confused energy fields. When I was first employing EFT, I noticed that whenever I focused on an emotion I wanted to work with, my mind would, out of habit, bring forth an intellectual construct as to why I need not feel this way. I had been working for so many years with bringing positive thoughts to mind that this was happening automatically.
These positive thoughts, however, always existed parallel to the negative emotions. They actually never replaced them. Now, while doing EFT, the automatically appearing positive thought was creating interference in the energy field of the emotion I was tapping for.
I made an effort to stop this tendency of bringing the positive to the mind. This allowed the negative emotion to be the only energy field present while tapping and thus the tapping was more effective.
After some rounds of EFT, resulting in the lowering of the SUD, the positive perception appears by itself now without the negative feeling.
For this reason, when the level of discomfort (SUD) is lowered, we can introduce the positive alternative perceptions.
Refer to the accompanying diagram to see where the points are located. We are also mentioning, for those interested, the acupuncture meridians and the numbers of the points where we tap. It is not necessary to know or understand these. I personally am not proficient in this science.
We usually tap in this sequence:
1. The corner of the eyebrow where it unites with the bridge of the nose. Referred to as EB Eyebrow point. (Bladder Meridian 2)
2. The side of the eye on the temple. SE – side of eye. (Gall Bladder 1)
3. Under the eye at the lower part of the bone. UE – under eye. (Stomach Meridian 2)
4. Under the nose and above the lip. UN – under nose (Governing Vessel Meridian 25 – 26)
5. Under the lower lip and above the chin. Ch ? chin (Conception Vessel Meridian 24)
6. Under the armpit on the side of the body approximately level with the nipples. UA – under arm (Spleen Meridian 21)
This is a slight modification of Gary?s series (remember according to Gary it does not matter in which series we tap). This will be explained later.
7. Under the collarbone and directly to the left or right of the sternum. This is in the soft spot just below the collarbone (the highest horizontal bone on the front of the body) and to the side of the sternum (the vertical bone in the center of the chest) CB – collarbone point. (Kidney Meridian 27)
This point is not to be confused with the sore spot where we rub in order to correct psychological reversal. The sore spot is further from the center and lower than the collarbone point.
8. On the outside of the thumb at the point where the nail unites with the skin. (If you place your palms on your abdomen, the part you tap on will be turned up towards your head.) Th – Thumb point. (Lung Meridian 11)
9. On the outside of the index finger at the point where the nail unites with the skin. (If you place your palms on your abdomen, the part you tap on will be turned up towards your head.) IF – index finger. (Large Intestine Meridian 1)
10. On the outside of the middle finger at the point where the nail unites with the skin. (If you place your palms on your abdomen, the part you tap on will be turned up towards your head.) MF – middle finger. (Circulation – sex Meridian 9)
11. On the outside of the little finger at the point where the nail unites with the skin. (If you place your palms on your abdomen, the part you tap on will be turned up towards your head.) BF – baby finger. (Heart Meridian 9)
12. On the side of the hand where you would hit a piece of wood if doing karate. KC – karate chop point. (Small Intestine Meridian 3-4)
This is the same point we tapped on while correcting for psychological reversal.
So, in step 2 we tap around seven times on each of the twelve points as we repeat the reminder phrase once at each point.
Except for the Under the Nose and Chin points all of the rest are located on the right and left sides of the body. It does not matter whether you tap on the left or right. You could even change sides in the middle of a tapping sequence.
Although there is theoretically no benefit in tapping in a balanced way on right and left, my many years of yoga, which demands balance, cause me to prefer it.
There is no disadvantage and some people seem to find it more effective. Also if you do a lot of tapping with one hand, it might get tired. I personally choose to switch sides and hands.
In general, however, EFT is done by tapping with the dominant hand on either side of the body.
Step 3 – The Gamut Series
This is the strangest part of the procedure. Some people feel silly when they first perform it.
It, however, plays the role of balancing the energies and the activity of the right and left hemisphere of the brain between tapping sequences.
It is made up nine movements which we do as we tap rapidly on the gamut point (see diagram) which is located on either hand in the groove created by the bones leading from the wrist to the knuckles of the smallest two fingers (ring finger and little finger). The tapping is done in the groove towards the knuckles. (Thyroid 3)
As we tap around three to five times a second, we make the following movements and procedure.
1. We close our eyes.
2. We open them.
3. Keeping the head straight, we look hard down right.
4. Keeping the head straight, we look hard down left.
5. Keeping the head straight, we make circles with the eyes to the right.
6. Keeping the head straight, we make circles with the eyes to the left.
7. We hum a few bars of any song (Gary likes “Happy Birthday”) (two to five seconds)
8. We count from one to five out loud (unless you do not want to be heard)
9. We hum a few bars of any tune again. (Two to five seconds)
This may seem silly, but it does help to balance the energies. When we hum and count and hum, we activate the two hemisphere of the brain.
Having completed the step three – the Gamut Series, we are now ready for step four.
Step four – The sequence again.
Step four is the same as step two. We go through all the twelve points tapping around seven times at each point as we repeat the reminder phrase.
This completes one round.
Evaluating the SUD
We now focus on the thought, emotion, desire or physical problem, which was disturbing us, and evaluate where our SUD (our degree of disturbance) is.
We seek to determine whether it has:
a. Risen? (It can sometimes – but seldom)
b. Stayed the same?
c. Dropped? (Which means we feel less disturbed when we focus on this.)
When the SUD Does Not Go Down
If it has risen or stayed the same, then we perform the next round exactly as the previous. Having now measured our present SUD, we perform:
1. The set up; rubbing or tapping with the appropriate corrective phrases for possible psychological reversal (this is even more important now, because, as the discomfort has not subsided at all, there is greater possibility of the presence of psychological reversal).
2.The sequence tapping the twelve points repeating the reminder phrase.
3. The gamut series
4. The sequence again repeating the reminder phrase.
Having done a second round, we then again evaluate and if the disturbance still has not come down – which is rare, we do exactly the same again.
If we are not getting results, then we will need to seek to understand why.
The possible obstacles will be addressed later but generally they are:
1. A “type of psychological reversal” which requires the collarbone breathing technique.
2. Energy toxins, which are preventing the correction of the energy field.
3. We are tapping for the wrong issue. There is another core or parallel issue here which needs to be addressed in order for the disturbance to be removed.
This work with aspects will be discussed further on. I will just give one example. I was working with one woman on her fear of death, which would not go below a SUD of 8. I then asked her, “is there something else which is bothering you?” She immediately answered, “I do not want to leave my young children alone if I die.” So we tapped for this which was the real issue and it came down to zero and so did her fear of death.
So it is important to recognize and tap on the deeper energy disturbances of the deeper issues.
Another example is that anger is usually a product of fear, hurt or guilt. In such cases we might have to work on these before our anger will come down.
The beautiful part of EFT is that when we work on something like anger, whatever is behind it will usually surface by itself when we tap on the issue.
When the SUD Does Come Down
When the SUD comes down even slightly we alter the process slightly.
1. In the setup while rubbing the sore spot or tapping the side of the hand, we now refer to the problem as “remaining _____.”
For example the phrase might be:
“Even though I have this remaining fear of heights (spiders, snakes, darkness, elevators – whatever it might be), I deeply and profoundly love myself.”
“Even though I have this remaining pain in my lower back, I deeply and profoundly love myself.”
The word “remaining” here is important because it allows our tapping to address the specific energy field, which is remaining. Also it psychologically reminds us that the discomfort is less and falling.
2. In the step 2 sequence, while tapping on the twelve points we refer to “remaining ______”
Remaining fear of heights
Remaining fear of elevators.
Remaining lower back pain.
3. Step 3 – the gamut series is performed as usual without changes.
4. Step 4 – We do the sequence again tapping on the twelve points using again the reminder phrase “remaining ______.”
At this point we complete our round.
We now check the SUD again.
Whether it has gone down or not, we now continue with the setup and reminder phrases which refer to the “remaining _____.”
In this way most people will have become free from their specific problem in one to five rounds. If they do not, then we need to search for the possible complications mentioned above and which we will examine in detail later.
They may have
1. A strong psychological reversal.
2. Energy toxins
3. Other aspects or core issues that need to be worked on before this problem can be solved.
A Brief Reminder of the Process
1. Connect with your targeted emotion and stimulus for that.
2. Evaluate the degree of disturbance felt when you bring the stimulus to mind.
3. The Sore Spot – On your chest rub with affirmations.
A. Even though I_________ I deeply and completely accept myself. (Psychological reversal)
B. Then: I want to be free from this____________.
4. The Sequence – tapping each point 7 times repeating reminding words _____________.
5. Gamut Series – just behind and between the knuckles of your ring and little finger.
a. Eyes closed. b. Eyes open.
c. Eyes hard down right while holding the head steady.
d. Eyes hard down left while holding the head steady.
e. Roll eyes in a circle as though your nose was at the center of a clock and you were trying to see all the numbers in order.
f. Same e only reverse the direction in which you roll your eyes.
g. Hum 2 seconds of a song (suggest Happy Birthday).
h. Count rapidly from 1 to 5.
i. Hum 2 seconds of a song again.
6. Repeat the sequence – in same way.
(If there is emotional disturbance – allow to be released)
This is one round
7. Focus on the stimulus and evaluate the degree of disturbance. If not down to 0 or 1, then
do again from 1 to 6 using the reminding phrase – now with word – remaining ___________.
part 3. “Even tough I still have some ________________ I deeply and completely accept myself.
Parts 4 the reminding words “remaining __________________________________”
Parts 5. Gamut series and and 6. the reminding words “remaining ___________________”
8. Close with positive projection of self feeling, secure, worthy, peaceful & loving in that situation.
What is extremely important here is persistence. Some problems will heal in a matter of minutes – it is not unusual. Other might take longer and require a number of sessions.
The intensity or the duration of the problem is not the factor that delays the healing process. An intense phobia of fifty years can be collapsed in five minutes (as we saw with the case of Mary?s fear of water).
What makes an issue more difficult is how many aspects, emotions and experiences are involved in its creation and how much resistance there is to letting it go. This will be dealt with.
The Floor to Ceiling Eye Roll
This is another of Dr. Callahan?s discoveries. With our head fixed straight ahead, we tap on the gamut point as our eyes start out looking hard down at the floor and then gradually come forward to focus in front of us as they slowly move up to the ceiling or sky. This should take at least 7 seconds.
We use this to complete the process whenever we have finished with our rounds.
We can also use it when we have arrived at a SUD of 2 or less, in which case, performing this procedure, usually brings it down to a zero.
Dr. Callahan also discovered in his research that there are certain substances which he calls “energy toxins” which may create a disturbance in the energy field and thus various negative emotions and physical problems. These are similar to allergic reactions but not the same.
When a person has sensitivity to a certain substance, which is for him an energy toxin, TFT and EFT (and any other therapy that does not remove the toxin) may not work until this is removed from his or her environment or from the body itself.
Some of the more common energy toxins are: nicotine, sugar, caffeine, perfumes, deodorants, some soaps and detergents, wheat and its products (perhaps with the exception of sprouted wheat), corn, milk and dairy products and aromatic herbs.
Most people will have no problem with any of these and will easily get results employing EFT. Some, however, may not heal because these or other substances constitute for them energy toxins, which disrupt their energy field and do not allow the disturbances to be eliminated by the tapping.
Even supposedly “good” food like potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, and beets could be an energy toxin for a specific person.
If we are not getting results from EFT and have:
v Worked with all the aspects which have come up in a particular issue and
v Employed collarbone breathing for the stronger type of psychological reversal.
Then we will likely need to examine the possibility of energy toxins.
Some ways of dealing with energy toxins
1. Try doing EFT in different environments. Perhaps there is something in the environment we have been working in which is creating the problem.
2. Try employing EFT at different times of the day. It may have something to do with our various environments or what we are wearing and or eating at a time of the day.
3. Take a shower without soap or shampoo and do EFT naked. This will tell us if the toxin is in our soaps, shampoos or clothing.
4. If we still do not get satisfactory results, then we might want to do a three day fast of some type or at least go without: nicotine, sugar, caffeine, perfumes, deodorants, soaps and detergents, wheat and its products, corn, milk and dairy products and aromatic herbs.
Then we are sure to have results unless we are tapping on the wrong issue entirely and some hidden core issue, which we are not tapping on, is creating the problem.
When we do get our desired freedom from this issue, then we can gradually add foods one by one watching how our bodies and emotions react until we discover the culprit.
One important key is that we usually have an addiction to substances that are energy toxins for us. So keep that in mind.
This is a process developed by Dr. Callahan for correcting deep-seated problems, which are similar to psychological reversal. According to Gary, this exists in only about 5 % of the population who seek help.
When we have done more than five rounds without the SUD coming down, then we might want to consider employing this. We will, however, need to keep in mind that the problem might be other aspects, which we have not yet worked on or energy toxins.
The procedure is the following:
It actually does not matter which hand or on which side of the body we start.
1. Place the index and middle finger of the left hand into the collarbone point on the left side of the sternum. Fold the thumb and other fingers under so that they are not touching the body. Also allow both arms to be away from and not touching the body so that the only point of contact is that of the two fingers on the left collarbone point.
Now as you tap with the index and middle finger of the right hand on the gamut point of the left hand (as if doing the gamut series) the fingers of which are on the left collar bone point do the following breathing procedure.
a. Inhale fully.
b. Exhale half of the air.
c. Exhale the remaining air
d. Inhale normally
Now all of the above holds for the rest of the tapping positions:
* That the fingers and arms are placed so that the only point of contact is the finger on the collarbone point.
* We do the same breathing process at all of the remaining seven positions which we will describe.
* We tap vigorously but not so as to hurt ourselves in any way in each of the following configurations.
So now we perform the above procedure in the following configurations:
2. With the knuckles of the index and middle fingers of the left hand in the left collarbone point, we tap on the gamut point of the left hand with the right index and middle finger while performing the breathing procedure.
3. With the fingertips of the index and middle fingers of the left hand in the right collarbone point, we tap on the gamut point of the left hand with the right index and middle finger while performing the breathing procedure.
4. With the knuckles of the index and middle fingers of the left hand in the right collarbone point, we tap on the gamut point of the left hand with the right index and middle finger while performing the breathing procedure.
Now we switch hands and do exactly the same process with the fingers and knuckles of the right hand pressing in the collarbone points as we tap with the index and middle fingers of the left hand.
5. With the fingertips of the index and middle fingers of the right hand in the right collarbone point, we tap on the gamut point of the right hand with the left index and middle finger while performing the breathing procedure.
6. With the knuckles of the index and middle fingers of the right hand in the right collarbone point, we tap on the gamut point of the right hand with the left index and middle finger while performing the breathing procedure.
7. With the fingertips of the index and middle fingers of the right hand in the left collarbone point, we tap on the gamut point of the right hand with the left index and middle finger while performing the breathing procedure.
8. With the knuckles of the index and middle fingers of the right hand in the left collarbone point, we tap on the gamut point of the right hand with the left index and middle finger while performing the breathing procedure.
Thus we have 5 acts of breathing in 8 positions for a total 40 acts of breathing while tapping on the gamut point in a way that this vibration is transferred to the collarbone point.
This removes obstacles that have not been removed by the simpler methods of correcting for psychological reversal.
Gary?s 100% overhaul method includes all the steps that we will need in case there is actually a psychological reversal and also all the points we need to tap on in order to remove the energy disturbance.
In reality, however, psychological reversal is actually present in only around 40% of the cases, except for specific groups such as victims of depression, illnesses of the immune system and other serious illnesses and persons seriously addicted to self-destructive substances.
Actually, in most cases, the only points that need to be tapped on are the eyebrow, side of eye, under eye, under nose, chin, under arm and collarbone. In other words we do not always need to tap on the points on the hands. (Actually the index and middle finger points are being released anyway because we are tapping with them.)
Dr. Callahan who is so deeply dedicated to relentlessly investigating more and more efficient ways of healing these “perturbations” or energy disruptions has found that in many cases of anxiety, phobias and addiction we need tap on only the under eye, under arm and collar bone points.
These short cuts are best learned directly from Dr. Callahan or Gary Craig. My personal procedure is to do one round (with all four steps) with all the points to get the energy flowing through all the meridians and from there use the short cuts. If the SUD goes down, I continue with the short cuts, if not, I return to tapping all 12 points.
I would suggest that for at least two or three months you learn to employ the whole procedure. Having mastered it, you may want to occasionally omit the correction for psychological reversal or some of the hand points or even the gamut series and see if you get results. If not, remember what you have omitted and include that in the next round.
Actually the only reason to employ shortcuts is to gain time, but here we are talking about a therapy which heals in minutes or hours what usually takes years of weekly sessions or cannot be healed at all. So in reality the shortcuts have greater use for psychotherapists who need to economize time with clients or when performing in front of groups so that they do not get bored.